I'm saving a bunch of money this summer by refashioning alot of my cold weather clothes into summer clothes.
I've turned some capri pants into shorts (which I will do a tutorial for sometime soon.)
And now I'm changing some long sleeve shirts into summer tops.
Unfortunately, for this shirt, I was experimenting and forgot to take pictures of most of the sewing part.
But I will do my best to explain....
I started by cutting straight across at the bottom of the "v" in the v neck. I went all the way to the sleeve.
Then I cut off the sleeves.
Next I cut off the front portions of the shirt that were only attached to the back now.
After this step, it looked like this:
I took the sleeves that I cut off and cut up the seam and opened it up.
It looked like this:
To find the length that I needed for the straps, I tried on the top.
I measured for width and length. I also added about an inch (just to be safe) for seam allowances.
Here's the part I forgot to take pictures of : After measuring for length and width, I cut out strips to those measurements from the sleeves that I cut open.
Next, I pinned a strip to the back of the shirt. (I pinned them with right sides together, so when its flipped back over, the right sides are showing.)
Then I sewed a gathering stitch on the other end. I pinned it to the front of the shirt. I did this for both straps. Then I tried on the shirt to make sure everything was how I wanted it.
I sewed the straps into place on the back and the front.
And lastly, I tried on the shirt inside out, and pinned the excess fabric up the sides to give the shirt a better "fit".
I carefully removed the shirt and sewed along the pins.
I tried it on one more time just to make sure it was perfect! =)
Thanks for reading! =)
And next time, I will try to remember to take tons of pictures!
***If you have some time, stop by my Zibbet shop!***