Monday, June 30, 2014

DIY Summer Shorts Refashion Tutorial ~ 3 Different Hem Styles ~








There are lots of reasons one might want to make their own shorts from jeans or pants. 
The biggest complaint I've heard from my friends is they can't buy jean shorts for their kids that are long enough.  This would be perfect for that problem!  
Other reasons would be if you get a hole or a stain in the knee or bottom part of the leg of your pants.
Another reason would be if your child grew up but not out and their pants were now too short. Making them shorts would be a great solution. 
I  just want to point out, I've saved so much money refashioning clothes instead of buying brand new.
I really only shop at thrift shops and yard sales anymore.
Refashioning is a real money saver! =)




The first pair of shorts I did this time was for my jeans (capris?) I'm not sure what these were exactly. I got them at a yardsale and they are petites, so I can't decide if they are pants or capris. 
I wanted to make a nice regular hem on my shorts.





The first thing I did was try the pants on.  Then I took a white marking pencil and made a line where I wanted the final hem to be.  I also made a line 1.5" below the top line.






Next, I cut along the bottom line. On both legs.





Then I turned the (now) shorts inside out.  I made a line 1.5" above the raw edge with the white pencil.




I folded the raw edge up twice until it met up with the white line that I made. 
I pinned all around the fold to hold it in place.


I sewed close to the top of the folded edge all the way around the pant leg.


And here is the final product! 
=)



Next up...Cuffed shorts...



  
For this tutorial, I used a pair of my daughter's capri-type pants to transform them into a cuffed denim short. 
I purchased these at a yardsale at the beginning of summer and it looks like the previous owner must have tried to make a pair of capris from jeans.


I had my daughter try on the pants and
I marked where I wanted the final length of the shorts (while she was wearing them). Apparently, this tickled, because she started laughing uncontrollably. =)   Then I marked a line 1.5" below that line. I used a regular pencil this time because the white pencil line wasn't noticeable.



I cut along the bottom line to make shorts.



Keeping the jeans right side out,
 I folded the raw edge up twice until it lined up with the pencil line I made and pinned.



Lastly, I sewed along the top of the folded edge all around the jeans.
See how fun and cute they turned out? Love them! =) And my daughter said they are way comfy.





And finally...ruffled hem...


This tutorial also works great if you have already purchased a pair of shorts and they are too short. Or if your child's legs have gotten longer and their shorts look shorter. =) It's a great way to lengthen shorts. I suppose you could also lengthen pants or jeans this way as well.



I marked where I wanted the denim section of the shorts to end. (Pay no attention to the top line I made in the picture. This was done by mistake...I got confused, which, if I'm being honest, happens frequently when I'm sewing. =P  )




I cut along the bottom line.

The fabric I'm using for the ruffle came from a vintage sheet I got at a yard sale.  I have an obsession with vintage sheets...it's just so much material for so little money!  And I'm in love with this pattern! It's so pretty.



 
I measured around the pant leg and added a couple of inches. That's the length of fabric I cut from the sheet. I made the width 2" wide.  Because I'm lazy, I used the finished edge of the sheet, so I wouldn't have to hem it. =D



I sewed a gathering stitch on the raw edge of the flowered strip...this made an automatic ruffle.




With the right sides together, I pinned the raw edge of the ruffle to the raw edge of the denim.  (I overlapped a tiny bit at the end.) 

I sewed them together making sure to stitch just below the gathering stitch. 
Once I was done with that, I used a zigzag stitch on the raw edges of the ruffle on the inside of the shorts. 
The final step was to iron the ruffle down. 






Here is the end result! How cute are these?!?  I love them! They are so cutesy!

Thanks for reading! =) 



****If you have the time, please visit my zibbet.com shop! ****
www.zibbet.com/therufflybuffalo




Thanks!





















No comments:

Post a Comment