This dress has been in my sewing stash for months. I forgot I even bought it. I remember getting it from Goodwill for $1. The tag on this dress was from "Blair" and the size was SML. It started out as a dress, but one that seemed to have been shrunk in the dryer, because it was way too short.
The first thing I did was remove that weird embroidered collar. I just cut it off. However, I did leave a little extra on the edge so it could be folded under and sewn.
Before the cut ^^^^
This is what it looked like after it was all cut off.
Next, I pinned the neckline under and sewed up the raw edges.
Once I was finished with the neckline, I moved onto the waistline. It was shapeless before. I decided to gather it with elastic. Before putting the elastic in, I chalked a straight line across both sides of the shirt. I sewed a few stitches in the elastic to keep it in place and while pulling tightly on the elastic (and making sure to stay along the chalk line) I sewed the elastic to the dress. This creates that gathered look.
To shorten the hem, I tried on the dress on to get the desired length. I marked it with a pin, removed the shirt and pinned across the bottom of the dress. I trimmed it and sewed a new hem.
For the next step, I forgot to take pictures. (Sorry) I thought the shirt needed something else. I chose to ruche the sleeves. To do this, I just cut a small piece of elastic and pinned it to the shoulder seam on the inside of the sleeve. I used the same technique I used for the waistline. I stitched the elastic in place and pulled tightly as I sewed it down the length of the sleeve.
And thats all there is to it.
I'm wearing a white tank top under this shirt, because when I cut off the collar and flowers, the neckline was way too low.
Now I have a cute top for fall that's comfy and is gonna get alot more wear than that dress it once was. =)
***If you have some time, swing by my Zibbet shop and take a look around!***