Monday, July 29, 2013

I Bit Off More Than I Could Chew

This dress has been in my closet for months taunting me.  I knew I needed to do something to it, but I didn't know what. I thought many times about making it into a skirt, because I have a cute summer shirt that would work great with it, but I like dresses. 
I had the idea this morning to make it into a shorter, swingy dress.   Sounds easy peasy right? I thought so, too.  I was way off! lol 
I think I had the concept right, but my skill level is not what it needs to be to put all of that together the way it should look.

And in typical Monica fashion, I just thought "oh well!" and did it anyway. 

So I pinned it all together and sewed it. The waistline came out looking all wonky. Which also resulted in an uneven hem. And again, being me, I decided not to take it apart and fix it. I just added a sash to cover it up. lol  (You'd be surprised with all of the mistakes a sash/belt will cover up.)

I was gonna leave the sleeves on this dress, because I thought it would look cute, but I guess because it's a used dress, one of the sleeves was stretched out all weird.  So, off came the sleeves!!! 

I put on the dress and looked in the mirror to decide where the top of the dress should be cut.  I wanted the finished bottom of the dress to fall around my knee (which is usually around 21" from my waist, so I measured from the bottom of the dress up 21" and cut there. I had a middle section left over. (I used this piece to make the sash.)

On the bottom piece of the dress, I cut off the buttons and button holes.  I then sewed a gathering stitch along the top. Next I pinned the bottom of the dress to the top of the dress (and this is precisely the moment it all went downhill.) I sewed it together and tried it on.  It looked alright for something I guessed at and gave a try. But you can tell I didn't really know what I was doing.

To make the sash, I cut off the buttons and button holes on the middle piece of fabric, sewed the raw edges under and sewed the sash to the front of the dress (making sure it was completely covering the waistline.)  I left the ends of the sash hanging off the dress so I could tie it in the back. 

I'm kinda bummed I didn't do it exactly right, but thankfully, the dress was only $1.  Hopefully I'll do better on future dresses. 

So, I guess you could say I pulled a "Monica".  lol  (That's a F.R.I.E.N.D.S. reference for those of you who aren't as crazy obsessed with that tv show as I am. hehe)

***If you have some time, swing by my zibbet shop and take a look around!***
Thanks! =D

No comments:

Post a Comment